Northampton County continues to provide amazing sites for the NHPS "Lectures on the Lawn" Series.
Be sure to check this website's home page should adverse weather conditions occur on the dates of the program.
Pear Valley, located in Wilsonia Neck, is one of the most studied buildings in Virginia. In October, Dr. Bernie Herman, noted author and the George B. Tindall Professor of Southern Studies at University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill gave his unique perspective about its construction and the culture of the people who lived there. Recent dating methods indicate Pear Valley was built around 1740. The 20-by-16-foot structure is a one-room, open or hall-plan house with a loft that was eventually subdivided into two rooms. The descendants of the original owner lived in Pear Valley for almost 200 years. Pear Valley was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 and became a National Historic Landmark in 2013. When designated as a National Historic Landmark it became one of only 2,596 landmarks in the entire U.S., 121 in Virginia, and two in Northampton County.
Dr. Bernie Herman’s books include Architecture and Rural Life in Central Delaware 1700-1900, The Stolen House, and Town House: Architecture and Material Life in the Early American City, 1760-1830 — each awarded the Abbott Lowell Cummings Award as the best book on North American vernacular architecture. Dr. Herman specializes in historical architecture and material culture. In the early part of his career, he studied many of the historic homes of The Eastern Shore.
Lebanon - Lecture on the Lawn - September 2018
NHPS received a warm welcome by the owner to the Northampton historical
home named "Lebanon". The oldest section of
the house was
built by the owner's great-great-great-great-great grandfather, Thomas
circa 1787. The smaller section was added by her great-great
Thomas J. L. L. Nottingham in the mid 1800's, using salvaged lumber from
off Cobb Island.
Johnsontown Tavern - Lecture on the Lawn - June 2018
lecture series opened with Johnsontown Tavern located
immediately south of Bridgetown. The owners and Dr. David Scott
presented the evolution of the tavern/house built by Johannes Johnson,
who purchased 35 acres just south of Hungars Church in 1787.
believed to have been one of the Occohannock Neck
Johnsons, built the Tavern, Johnson's Methodist Church (1790) and a
store (1820s) on this property. Johnson ran the tavern, which served
people who were traveling north and south between Eastville and
a number of years. Many Northampton families owned or lived in
Lecture on the Lawn at Coventon - October 2017
Lecture on the Lawn at Selma - September 2017
Lecture on the Lawn at Valcluse - November 2014
Lecture on the Lawn at Winona - October 2014
Lecture on the Lawn at Old Castle - 2014