Pear Valley represents a rare survival of what was once a common building type in rural Virginia. This yeoman planter's cottage has been dated by dendrochronology to 1740. In 1994, with the generous support of the Summerfield Baldwin Foundation, APVA Preservation Virginia commissioned an Historic Structures Report to assess the known history and the existing condition of the structure. The Report also laid out immediate conservation needs and a long-term preservation plan for the structure. Over the next ten years, APVA-Preservation Virginia addressed most of them including the entire roof. It was replaced with oak shingles as called for in the Historic Structures report. The shingles were split from white oak from Germany. Preservation Virginia deeded the property to Northampton Historic Preservation Society in 2014 (see story below).
Pear Valley was placed on the National
Register of Historic Places in 1969 and became a National Historic
Landmark in 2013.The National Register of Historic Places is the
official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. A National Historic Landmark (NHL) is a building, district, object, site or structure that is officially recognized
by the United States government for its outstanding historical significance. Northampton County has 27 properties and districts on the list and two have been
designated as National Historic Landmarks. There are a total of 120
National Historic Landmarks in Virginia. There are over 2,500 properties and districts recognized in the U.S. as National Historic Landmarks. Find more information here from the Pear Valley National Historic Landmark Nomination: National Landmark.
Pear Valley Deeded to NHPS
Louis Malon, representing Preservation Virginia, has turned the keys to Pear Valley over to Nan Bennett, President of the Northampton Historic Preservation Society, and the NHPS Board of Directors. The deed to Pear Valley officially passed to the NHPS on November 13, 2014. This places a jewel of Northampton and Virginia preservation efforts into the hands of the newly independent Northampton County historic preservation nonprofit organization. NHPS, formerly the Northampton Branch of Preservation Virginia, has managed Pear Valley since the PVA acquired it in 1986. The Northampton preservation group began its mission in 1913 by saving the 1731 Courthouse on the Eastville Court Green.
In March 2014, Pear Valley was designated a National Historic Landmark by U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar and National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis. Pear Valley is one of 123 National Historic Landmarks in Virginia and 2,540 nationwide. It was included in the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1969. This yeoman planter's cottage survives as an example of what was a common building type in rural Virginia in the 1740's.
Pear Valley Featured in A & N Electric Cooperative Living!!!!!!
Northampton County Court Green in Eastville, Virginia
Three hundred years reflecting the continuity of government can be found in Eastville, Virginia on the Northampton County Court Green. It includes the 1731 Courthouse, one of only a handful of colonial courthouses that survive in Virginia; the brick Clerk's Office dating to the late 18th century , a rare example of an early clerk's office with a flagstone floor and vaulted masonry ceiling; and a Debtor's Prison (ca. 1815) that has been called the state's best remaining example of its type and is essentially unchanged. The Debtor's Prison is a brick building with a heavy door, double-barred windows, and hand-wrought spiked nails. Go to the Resources Tab above to find more information on the Eastville Court Green.
Court Green Historic District Exhibit in 1899 Courthouse Hours*
Open Year Round
Monday to Friday, except holidays
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
(public bathrooms available)
*Three Historic Buildings are open to visitors from April until October
See full description at bottom of HOME page
Address and Directions:
16404 Courthouse Road, Eastville, Virginia
Turn west on Business Route 13 or Route 631